As exciting as it is to get and drive a new car, it is very important to maintain it as well. While getting your care serviced from the authorized dealer is essential, there are a few things that you can regularly keep an eye on in order to keep your car running well and that too for a long period of time. Here are some important tips to help retain your car’s value:
• Don’t skip scheduled service: Read your owner’s manual carefully to find out more about when your scheduled car maintenance services are. Maintenance service usually include checking or replacing parts like spark plugs, wires and timing belts. With time, various other parts might need replacement to keep your car running efficiently and safely. This might cost you more, as your regular service may not include this. But, don’t compromise on the parts. And always remember to keep your service history handy.
• Replace the air filter: Be sure that your car’s air filters aren’t clogged and that they are replaced at regular intervals. Clogged filters tend to slow down and drag down the efficiency of a car. Regular replacement of air filters can improve its fuel efficiency and acceleration. Ideally, air filters should be replaced every six months.
• Get an oil change: And oil change is the simplest service you can do to keep your car running in optimum condition. Not maintaining it could void your warranty. An oil change not only keeps the engine running smoothly, but keeps your cooling system working well. Also make sure the pump, hoses, fluids and belts are in top shape. Ideally, oil change or replacement should be done every three months.
• Check your tire pressure: No one enjoys a rickety ride with a tire with uneven air pressure or the problem and trouble of being faced with a sudden flat tire by the side of the road. Be sure you check pressure of your tires regularly including one on the spare. It will not hurt to invest in a gauge. This will help you know if your vehicle is correctly aligned. Aim at getting this done every three months or 3000 miles.
• Wash it: Washing your car regularly not only keeps it clean, but helps you maintain it better. It takes care of unwanted debris like bird droppings, birds, leaves, dust and chemicals, making it look new and prevent the paint from wearing off. Use the right kind of soap and glass cleaner to give your vehicle a thorough wash. Give it a new coat of wax if needed.