A sport utility vehicle or suburban utility vehicle (SUV) is classified as a light truck vehicle, but are operated as a family vehicle. The term ‘SUV’ refers to a large vehicle which is basically designed to be used on rough roads but it is often used on highways.
Whereas, crossover utility vehicle (CUV) is built on the features of SUV. Crossover combines SUV’s features. Here are some basic reasons why SUV’s are most sought after:
• Comfort Zone: Unlike normal cars, SUV’s offers great space and comforts and enables a comfortable ride.
• Fuel economy: The best model of these vehicles offers excellent fuel economy. On a long trip in your SUV, you would save fuel by taking less space in traffics and parking lot. The Chevrolet Traverse is one of the good examples for fuel savings.
• Safety: Usually, during crashes bigger vehicles tend to be safer than smaller vehicles. In comparison with the normal cars, crossovers have gained top safety pick status from the Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
• Favorable to adverse road conditions: During heavy rains or storms it becomes an obstacle for a driver to encounter on the highway. Whereas an SUV can just drive over drifts, or through them.
• Versatility: SUV Crossovers offers third-row seating facilities which give the drivers extra cargo space. This makes SUV more versatile than normal cars. Honda Pilot is one of the highly ranked 3-row SUVs with comfortable seats and tons of cargo space.
• Mileage: There are lots of crossovers with best gas mileage. For example, Nissan Rogue (28 mpg). This Nissan is rated at 26/33 mpg in cities and highways making it as one of the more efficient compact crossovers.
SUV crossovers by offering lots of features such as tall interior packaging, high point settings, third-row seatings, high ground clearance, all-wheel drive capability, and flexibility to allow configurations that favor cargo volume, i.e, fold-down rear seats sought to be the most popular vehicles after cars.
Some of the best SUVs and their features:
• Lexus RX: This one is the most popular and luxurious SUVs in America. It offers gas-electric hybrid and all-wheel drive facilities. Price expected is $43,995 approximately. It has been rated four stars in NHTSA crash test rating.
• Acura RDX: Similar to Honda CR-V, but upgraded with more dynamic stylings and V-6 engine. It has a compact seating for up to 5 people. Price is fixed at $36,510 approximately. And it is certified by IIHS as a top safest pick vehicle.
• Cadillac XT5: This shows its leading place by its important feature, the Rear Camera Mirror System. It uses a video display which shows the image wider than you would see in an actual mirror. It is expected to be sold at $39,395.